September 1, 2017
Power of Praise
September 1, 2017
Do you ever have trouble sleeping? One night I tossed and turned as I mulled over an issue. It had me down for half of the next day! I could not shake it. Then I remembered Psalm 105:45b, “Praise the LORD!”
The rest of the day – no matter what the situation – I simply praised God. Why? There is a power that comes in praise. Yes, teams have a home-field advantage when their fans are cheering and praising them. Yes, we all do better when people praise us. Yes, praise motivates people to do better.
There is also power for us when we praise God. When I was a boy, a group of us were playing football. The other team was bigger, older, stronger, and faster. Then the star of the high school football team came out asking if he could play. He chose to play on our team because we looked as if we needed it, which we did! We cheered! He had not even begun to play with us, but we knew that with him on our side we’d win. We did!
God is far greater than any star player helping us win our game. Psalm 105 tells of God leading the Hebrews out of bondage. How could David not end this Psalm by saying, “Praise the LORD”?
The rest of the day, I began praising God because I knew God helped me in the past and that God was ready to help me again today. So my praise to God was a statement of faith, trust, and hope that God is in charge of my life situations. Yes, there is power in praising God and knowing that God works all things together for our good in His own time.
Questions for the Field
- When have you experienced the power of praise in your life? What happened?
- When was a time that you struggled with an issue, turned it over to God, and found peace and confidence?
- Is there an issue at the moment for which you need Jesus’ help?
- Might you want to praise God for what God is about to do through it?
Family Field Talk
- What happens when someone encourages you? What happens when you encourage someone else?
- If you are playing a family game, who do you want to be on your side?
- If you are doing homework, a task at work, playing a game, who do you want on your side?
- What does it mean that Jesus is on our side?
Lord Jesus, you have helped me in the past. I know you are here right now. I know you are on my side. So I praise you for the victories you have given me. I praise you for the victory you now give me even though I don’t know how it will turn out. In your gracious name, I pray. Amen.