March 21, 2018
The First Step
March 21, 2018
This weekend’s reading: John 19:30
On the cross Jesus cries out, “It is finished!”
In our scripture for this Sunday’s worship, Jesus says, “It is finished!” One cannot have a finish unless there is first a beginning.
On your mark. Get set. Go! Someone speaks these words when we begin a race, start a project, or begin an adventure. To complete a race, project, or adventure, one must start from the beginning.
A 26.2-mile marathon begins with one practice step. A score in a ballgame begins with the first day of practice. The finish of a project begins with the first step of the planning. The finish of an adventure begins with the first step of putting a dream into action.
John tells us in John 1 that in the beginning was the Word and the Word was both with God and was God. Then John tells us that the Word became flesh and dwelt among us full of grace and truth in which the world beheld the glory of God. So, on the cross when Jesus says, “It is finished,” he completes his mission of being the light of our world, saving us and redeeming us. Our salvation is secured when we accept Jesus as Lord and Savior.
Accepting Jesus as the Lord and Savior of our lives is our beginning. Paul tells us that God began the work of salvation in us and that God will bring it to completion (Philippians 1:6). Our part is running the race with Christ until we can say with Paul, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” (2 Timothy 4:7)
QUESTIONS FOR THE FIELD
- What are some things or events in your life that were hard to start?
- Once you started, did you finish?
- What are some things or events in which you are in the midst of right now? How are you letting Christ help you finish the race?
- What race do you need to begin? What is your first step?
FAMILY FIELD TALK
- School can be hard. Share what it’s like to start from the beginning of a school year and then complete it, maybe even graduate.
What are some projects around the house that may be hard to start (such as cleaning one’s room), but once you start, it feels good to finish?
- What are some activities that we do, or we need to start, to help us grow in faith?
Most loving gracious Lord, you saved us on the cross. We receive your love and grace through faith. Lord, help us live that faith today such that you grow in and through us with whomever and whatever today. In your gracious name, I pray. Amen.