May 5, 2018
No Trifling Matter
May 5, 2018
In our passage today, Moses tells the Israelites that they should take to heart all the words of the law and the covenant and to be sure and teach them diligently to their children. Then he says, “This is no trifling matter for you, but rather your very life.”
How many times do we treat our relationship to God as an after-thought — something to pay attention to after we’ve dealt with more urgent matters? Today’s scripture says this is a mistake — a costly mistake. In order to thrive, we must keep our relationship with God first in our lives. It is no trifling matter.
QUESTIONS FOR THE FIELD
- How often do you find yourself treating your relationship with God as a “trifling matter”?
- What could you do to prioritize it?
FAMILY FIELD TALK
- Talk to your parent or adult friend about how much time you spend each week in various ways — school, after-school activities, social media or video games, etc.
- How much time do you spend reading the Bible, praying and attending church?
- How could you find more time to spend growing your relationship
Lord, we want to be followers of Jesus, we want to put you first in our lives, but so often we fail to diligently pursue our relationship with you. Send your Spirit to inspire and strengthen us so that we may love you with all our hearts. Amen.