August 8, 2018
August 8, 2018
Ever said something that was interpreted the opposite of what you meant? In his first speech to the Poland people, President Jimmy Carter said, “I am so glad to meet you, my friends.” In Polish, the interpreter said, “I love you carnally.” Graciously, the Polish people simply laughed.
Sometimes our translations of the scriptures do not capture the original meaning. Genesis 1:27 says that God created all people, male and female, in God’s image. Genesis 2:18 says, “It is not good that a man should be alone; I will make help-mate fit for him.”
Most interpret this second statement that women are helpers, even servants, of men. However, the Hebrew means that the woman was one “worthy to be an equal-side-by-side person” with the man. Thus, neither is above or below the status of the other.
The point is
QUESTIONS FROM THE FIELD
- Who are some people who you feel are of less than you?
- Who are some people who you feel are of greater than you?
- How might God help you relate to these people as equals?
- How might you treat them like Jesus?
- How might you be Jesus to them?
FAMILY FIELD TALK
- While it is important to respect the position of people in authority, discuss how people with different levels of authority (such as parents, teachers, and babysitters) are like each of us.
- How might we treat people in authority in ways that respect their authority and at the same time value them the way God values them?
- If you have authority over someone else, what difference does it make that they are made in the image of God?
Most loving gracious Lord, creator of all people, again, help us value all people as we value ourselves, including people in authority over us and those who are under our authority. Help us find ways to reach out in love and respect to those who are our family, to those with whom we work, to those who attend to us in restaurants, and to those who serve us in the check-out lines. Lord, help us value all people as “help-mates fit for us” and we for them. In your gracious name, I pray. Amen.