October 30, 2018
October 30, 2018
Jesus had compassion on the crowd and told the disciples to feed the people. So, the disciples then did what most people do. They counted the cost and evaluated the logistics.
They counted at least 5,000 men plus the women and children. They counted five loaves of bread and two fish. They counted themselves. They looked for other sources of food. They looked at the time of day. They counted everything and looked at almost all of the possibilities.
The one thing they did not count was Jesus. The one possibility to which they did not turn was Jesus.
When facing obstacles in our lives, it is so easy to count everything and look at all possibilities without counting on Jesus and realizing that all things are possible with Christ.
We can count 8,000 members of Brentwood United Methodist Church plus children and constituents. We can count all the ministries of our congregation. We can count all the needs of the world. We can count what little we have to contribute in terms of time, talent, and treasures.
Let’s also count on Jesus and what Jesus can do even through us.
QUESTIONS FROM THE FIELD
- What situation(s) in your past seem so insurmountable that you felt you could not succeed and yet, with Jesus’ help, you got through it?
- Is there a situation that you are facing now that seems impossible? How might you count on Jesus and the possibilities he provides?
FAMILY FIELD TALK
- What are stories of major issues or obstacles from your family’s past that seemed impossible to accomplish, and yet, Jesus helped you to get through it/them?
- Are there any major issues your family is facing at the moment? How are you counting on Jesus and His possibilities?
- How might your family and you prepare for future issues which may arise?
Lord, Jesus Christ, we know you are aware of the issues we face. We know that you are more ready to help us than we are to ask. Lord, please help us count on you, not just ourselves. Help us to be at peace with you in the midst of our storms knowing that you will get us through. In your gracious name, I pray. Amen.