December 29, 2018
I Surrender All
December 29, 2018
“He that finds his life shall lose it, and he that loses his life for my sake shall find it.” Matthew 10:39
Judson W. Van de Venter says about his inspiration to write the hymn I Surrender All:
The song was written while I was conducting a meeting at East Palestine, Ohio, and in the home of George Sebring (founder of the Sebring Camp Meeting-Bible Conference in Sebring, Ohio, and later developer of the town of Sebring, Florida). For some time, I had struggled between developing my talents in the field of art and going into full-time evangelistic work. At last the pivotal hour of my life came, and I surrendered all. A new day was ushered into my life. I became an evangelist and discovered down deep in my soul a talent hitherto unknown to me. God had hidden a song in my heart, and touching a tender chord, He caused me to sing.
1. All to Jesus I surrender. All to Him I freely give.
I will ever love and trust Him. In His presence daily live.
Chorus: I surrender all. I surrender all.
All to Thee
2. All to Jesus I surrender. Humbly at His
Worldly pleasures all forsaken. Take me, Jesus. Take me now. (Chorus)
3. All to Jesus I surrender. Make me Savior wholly thine.
May Thy Holy Spirit fill me. May I know Thy power divine. (Chorus)
Our Covenant Prayer in the Wesleyan Tradition conveys the same truth. At two verses a day, your memorization of this prayer should be complete today.
I am no longer my own, but yours. Put me to what you
put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid aside for you,
exalted for you, or brought low for you;
let me be full, let me be empty, let me have all things, let me have nothing:
I freely and wholeheartedly yield all things to your pleasure and disposal.
And now, glorious and blessed God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
you are mine and I am yours. So be it.
And the covenant now made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven. Amen.
QUESTIONS FROM THE FIELD
- What are one or more things that you know would help you most if you surrendered them to Christ?
- If you know that Christ is ready to help you, and with Christ’s help you will succeed, what is keeping you from surrendering whatever to Christ?
- How are you letting Jesus be born into your lives this week? (Christmas)
- What agreements and promises did you make this week with Christ? (Covenant)
- In what ways and in what areas of your lives are you surrendering to Christ? (Holiness)