July 4, 2019
Measuring Our Faith | July 4, 2019
“God is love, and those who abide in love abide in God, and God abides in them.” This week, Davis asked us in his sermon, “How might you measure a person’s faith?” To measure a person’s height, you would use a yardstick or tape measure. To measure a mile, we might use an odometer. But how can we measure our own faiths? This verse from 1 John sets the measure of love. If our actions, our intentions, our motivations, and our words are not from a place of love, we need to prayerfully ponder how our faith is measuring up. When we catch ourselves speaking a harsh word to a family member or ignoring the homeless woman on the side of the street, we have to remember our call to love like Christ.
QUESTIONS FOR THE FIELD
- Where in your life are your motivations, actions, and words not coming from a place of love?
- How can you show love to someone in your life today? Maybe, someone, you haven’t talked to in a while.
- Where do you feel like your faith life could use some attention?
- What does it mean to live a life of love?
- How do you show God’s love?
God, help me identify the areas where I need to grow deeper in my faith. Help me to admit where I am weak and open myself to your Spirit who will make me strong in You. Amen