November 19, 2019
November 19, 2019
“9-10 Sign some widows up for the special ministry of offering assistance. They will in turn receive support from the church. They must be over sixty, married only once, and have a reputation for helping out with children, strangers, tired Christians, the hurt and troubled.”
I love that folks who may need our help also have gifts to offer within the community. Certainly our older members bring invaluable life experience and wisdom. During our last youth Confirmation series, I was among the senior adults to participate with 8-10 sixth graders in conversations about a life of faith. That invitation caused me to remember many of the places and times in my life when God had been present. It felt good to share stories…young and old reaching for God together…perhaps hearing some phrase or seeing an image that had been held in trust until it was needed by someone else.
If we stretch the text above a little, it might also say that when you help someone, be certain to include them in community with you. Give them a place of service that uses their gifts and graces. Help them feel that they are valued and worthwhile. Everyone has something to give!
Questions for the Field
- When did you last give to a specific ministry or group?
- How did you become aware that resources were needed?
- If you gave money, how else did you engage with the people or organization?
Family Field Talk
- How can you help your children understand where the dollar they put in the offering plate on Sunday goes?
- Talk with your family about your giving. If you are pledging to the church budget, how is the money used? If you are giving to a mission, why is the money needed? Are there other ways to help?
Sweet Jesus, it is the harvest time of the year. At the heart of our gratitude for your abundance, we look to share our blessings with those who have less. Help us to discern what will best serve the church and those around us. It is through our worship community, through study, through prayer, through willingness to listen that we are called. Amen.