April 6, 2020
Holy Week Monday: Cleansing Our Temples
April 6, 2020
Matthew 21:12 – “And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, . . .”
Paul teaches that we are Christ’s holy Temple and that we are to keep our Temples holy. Two things to ponder here.
First, I have to ask, “Am I allowing Christ to cleanse his Temple within me through worship, prayer, and my actions with our socially distancing families, friends, and neighbors. How does Jesus need to cleanse my relationships?”
Second, when Paul says, “You are Christ’s Temple, and you are to keep it holy,” he uses the plural “you.” The implication is that we are to keep our relationships holy.
While we attempt cleansing our society of the coronavirus, one neighbor goes through our neighborhood, asking if there is anything anyone needs. She is going beyond cleansing viruses and relationships; she is building relationships!
So, instead of focusing on how Christ needs to cleanse someone else, let’s focus on where Christ can cleanse us this day in our C-19 world. Let’s also focus on how we can build Christ-centered relationships.
QUESTIONS FOR THE FIELD
- What are your motives for what you’ve done (or about to do) today?
- Are your motives of God?
- How might you allow Jesus to cleanse and transform any unhealthy motives?
- What part of your life do you want Jesus to cleanse today?
- What part of your life do you not want Jesus to cleanse? Is it possible that this is the area Jesus needs to cleanse?
- Is there something Christ might be nudging you to do to build relationships?
FAMILY FIELD TALK
- Discuss the difference between being selfish and being selfless.
- Discuss the difference between serving Jesus and serving ourselves.
- Discuss ways that we can allow Jesus to help us become better servants for him.
Most loving, gracious Lord, you gave up everything in heaven for our sake. You came to cleanse and transform us into a holy people. Lord, I pray for you to cleanse me of unhealthy thoughts and attitudes. Please cleanse and transform my life into that which you had in mind when you first thought of me. And also, in the meantime, please help us cleanse this world of C-19. In your gracious name, I pray. Amen.