January 15, 2022
Following Our Teacher
Each of our daily readings this week focused on how to live out our Christian faith. We’ve learned that our faith grows hands and feet when we:
- respect legitimate authority
- include voices from all sides when we settle a dispute — especially those who feel wronged
- identify what belongs to God and return those things to him
- do what we have the power to do to alleviate suffering
- protect the most vulnerable in our society — particularly orphans and widows
- show kindness and mercy to one another
We follow a Teacher who told us that the two great commandments were to love God and to love our neighbors as ourselves. As we examine our purpose as Christ-followers, may we find joy in obeying his commandments and applying what we’ve learned to our actual lives in the world.
QUESTIONS FOR THE FIELD
- Which of these days’ readings was the most challenging for you?
- What is one specific way you can show kindness and mercy to a vulnerable person in our community?
FAMILY FIELD TALK
- Discuss with your parents or other trusted adult how your family might help someone in need. You might collect canned goods for a food bank or warm winter clothing for Room In The Inn.
Loving God, your commandments are simple though not easy — loving you and loving others. Teach us to do good, to show kindness and mercy to one another, and to make your love visible to a world desperate for good news. Amen.