Skip to content

🎉 Our 2025 Ministry Impact Report is here! 🎉 Click here to view it

History of BUMC

Slides from Chad Drumwright's BUMC History Slideshow
Brentwood Methodist Church on Church Street (1886)
  • 1851

    Brentwood Methodist Church is Founded

    Methodists in the Brentwood community saw the need for a transformational congregation more than a century before the City of Brentwood was incorporated. The original church site sat on Frierson Street, where the Mt. Lebanon Missionary Baptist Church stands today.

  • 1867

    Brentwood Risk-Takers

    Few records of Brentwood's earliest church remain. There is one rather dubious distinction that does exist. A resolution passed that men and women would be allowed to sit together. The resolution read: "Be it resolved that hereafter the gentlemen and ladies and especially all members of families of Brentwood Methodist Church be authorized and requested to sit together in the church for the better preservation of good order, quiet and convenience for the congregation." As such, Brentwood Methodist Church was the first congregation in the Tennessee Conference to allow men and women to sit together.

  • 1886

    The Move to Church Street

    Brentwood Methodist Church was struck by a windstorm – or a tornado according to some sources – that completely destroyed the building. It was decided to build a new church at a new location on Church Street on property that had been previously donated by Mr. and Mrs. Hugh C. Moore, Sr. to the church for the purpose of building a new church, a parsonage, and a school. The new church was dedicated in 1886.

BUMC 1939 Building
The new Brentwood Methodist Church (1939)
  • 1936

    Lightning Strikes Church Street

    A lightning bolt struck the church located on Church Street, destroying it completely. The church members had to make a decision: let that be the end of Brentwood Methodist Church or rebuild despite the potential financial implications. They chose to take a risk and rebuild brick by brick.

  • 1968

    Moving to Franklin Road and a New Denomination

    Church members were aware of the growing pains from cramped and aging facilities. Despite sentiment for the Church Street property, the congregation voted to take a risk to move to Franklin Road.

    On the national level, the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church voted to merge denominations in April 1968. This gave birth to the United Methodist Church.

  • 1972

    The New Campus

    Brentwood United Methodist Church moved into its current facilities on the corner of Franklin Road and Williamsburg Road with the Chapel as its primary worship space.

  • 1989

    20th Century Growth

    BUMC experienced growth as the city and county around us grew. We made the decision to build a new primary worship space to accommodate the growing number of families worshiping and serving at BUMC. This is the Sanctuary we continue to use today.

BUMC 2006 Aerial View - Version 2 2008-03-27 11-21-16
Brentwood United Methodist Church (2006)
  • 2004

    Maximizing Our Space

    A decision was made to focus on our ministry to youth and adults with particular attention to a space that was welcoming to our middle and high school students, and the Turner Discipleship Center was built.

  • 2015-2019

    Looking to Future Growth

    A full assessment of our facilities and ministry needs was conducted by our Board of Trustees and lay leaders. The Building Team was launched, and a Master Site Plan was developed. In fall of 2019, we began hosting informational meetings for the congregation.

  • 2020

    The COVID-19 Pandemic

    A decision was made to pause the work due to the COVID-19 pandemic. BUMC quickly adapted to an online worship model, which has grown our reach on the national and international level.

  • 2024

    Repurposing and Renovation

    In April of 2024 we began our four-phase renovation project to address the challenge of aging facilities, outdated technology, inadequate acoustics in our Sanctuary, limited access to our Chapel, and the need for increased security for our facilities, particularly for the children.

    Phase 1 was completed in August 2024, updating the Chapel Narthex and creating a new entry and offices for the Early Learning Center (ELC). 

  • Today

    Continued Renovation

    Phase 2 was completed in August of 2025, making aethetic and acoustical updates to our main Sanctuary, transforming it into a state of the art sacred music venue. 

    We are currently in Phase 3 of renovation, which will repurpose our Family Life Center into classrooms and gathering spaces for our Children's Ministry and ELC.Â