Welcome to our curriculum planning and check-out process! On this page are downloadable documents of the curriculum we currently have available, links to the material we recommend, and a quarterly planning sheet to help your class/or group schedule out teachers/studies.
Below you'll find details on our process, links to resources, and ways to offer us feedback. If you have recommendations for a new study let us know.
WE USE THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES WHEN CHOOSING CURRICULUM WITH OUR LAY-TEAM:
- Is this within the wide spectrum of United Methodist Theology?
- Can a non-seminary trained person lead/teach/facilitate this study?
- Does this study have the potential for moving people to deepen their faith journey?
- Does it help us balance our offerings in our 5 Areas of Study: Biblical, Theological, Topical, United Methodism, and Living the Spiritual Life?
Links to material that we recommend:
The Thoughtful Christian - Downloadable lessons (1 week - 6 weeks) an on a variety of topics The Church has an account to give you free access to this material.
Faithlink - Contemporary one-week downloadable lessons available for a fee (Life -> Scripture)
Adult Bible Study - An excellent quarterly publication that is purchased through Cokesbury (Scripture -> Life)
Teachable Books - Free downloadable discussion guides for books your group might study.
Small-Group Guides from HarperOne - Free downloadable discussion guides for many bestselling books related to faith.
If you have any questions please contact Dr. Domenic Nigrelli at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5 SUGGESTED AREAS OF STUDY EACH YEAR:
- Bible-based studies - Examples - Disciple, Bible from Scratch
- United Methodist history, beliefs, and organization - Examples - Three Simple Rules, What does it mean to be United Methodist
- Spiritual Disciples/Living the Spiritual Journey - Examples - The Way of Prayer, Celebrate Discipline
- Topical studies on the life and social issues - Examples - Living Fully, Dying Well, Confronting the Controversies, Parenting the Early Years
- Theological studies – Who is God and how does God work? - Examples - Why?: Making Sense of God’s Will, What’s so Amazing about Grace?
CURRICULUM PLANNING & CHECK OUT PROCESS:
STEP 1 - DISCOVER CURRICULUM NEEDS
- Classes/Groups with needs consult what is available via the website:
- Look at the current curriculum list
- Check what new material might be available
- Consult Cokesbury's website or the annual Forecast Catalog
- Needs and suggestions for possible studies are shared with Adult Discipleship staff
- Contact Dr. Domenic Nigrelli at email@example.com
- These needs are taken to the curriculum committee who offers recommendations back to a class/group
STEP 2 - CHOOSE AND OBTAIN RESOURCE
- Group's leadership selects a resource
- The material is available to check out to preview
- 2 Weeks to Preview Curriculum (Material can be returned to the Outpost)
- Schedule Study with Dr. Domenic Nigrelli
- Will need to know if you need books or other materials for participants and when you anticipate a study will begin and end.
- We will order these materials and have them in the Outpost for pick-up/purchase (Materials ordered by Sunday are generally available the following week. After Sunday, allow 2 weeks for shipments to arrive.)
- Participants pick up copies of their book or study materials in the Outpost
- If a group needs special equipment on Sunday morning contact Carol to schedule this.
- Return Leader’s Guide/DVD’s and other materials to the Outpost and offer Feedback