May 23, 2018
Give It to Jesus!
May 23, 2018
In the TSSAA High School semi-final basketball game, Perry County High School was down 18 points with about 3 minutes to play. Dave Rhodes, PCHS’s coach, called timeout. While he was barking some instructions for a comeback, his younger brother, and star player, Mike (Tennessee’s Mr. Basketball & later Vanderbilt star) did what only a brother could do. He jumped up in the huddle and said, “Forget all that! Just give me the ball! Just give me the ball!”
During the next three minutes, Mike scored about twenty points and PCHS won. Everyone at MTSU’s Murphy Arena, except the other team, were jumping, cheering, and shouting, applauding such an awesome performance and the come-from-behind victory. (Our own John Phillips was on that team.)
In John 15:5, Jesus tells us that apart from him, we can do nothing. While we can try to be perfect on our own, we know that’s a losing proposition. Jesus, through the Holy Spirit, says, “Give me your life! Just give me the issues of your life! Let me help you grow into perfection! Let me help you work out your salvation! Don’t try to do it by yourself! Just give me your life!”
QUESTIONS FOR THE FIELD
- What issues are you facing today?
- With what issues are you letting Jesus help you?
- With what issues might you start trusting Jesus today?
FAMILY FIELD TALK
- When were times when you needed help and you got it? How did it feel?
- When is a time you helped someone else? How did that feel?
- Is there something that might bless Jesus because you let him help you?
- Is there an area in your life in which you need to let Jesus help you?
Most loving gracious Lord, we unconsciously try to live our lives on our own without you. Sometimes we just don’t realize how much you can help. Lord, today, please help us totally trust you with our issues, conversations, and actions. In your gracious name, I pray. Amen.