December 25, 2018
Creating a New Christmas
December 25, 2018
As we age, the
For a few years, Christmases for me were disappointing as an adult. The same magic I felt as a child never came. Eventually, I realized that I was trying to relive the past instead of creating new memories. So, I began creating new memories focusing on giving gifts to family and friends as if I was giving them to Jesus. Upon doing this, my feelings about the gifts changed, my feelings towards the recipients improved, and the joy and magic of Christmas returned.
One key for me was to imagine that, as I gave my gifts to family and friends, I was giving them to Jesus. That affected how I treated them, how I talked with them, and how I acted throughout the day. It created new feelings of Christmas. Why? Because Christmas became Christ-centered for me.
Others I know, who have to be alone on Christmas day, make telephone, write letters, and make visits, which add meaning to their Christmas day. Why? Because these acts of grace help make Christ the center of our Christmas.
If God is the creator of new things and making all things new (Revelation 21:5), by focusing on Jesus, this Christmas day, it can also become something new! May Christ help you create new memories this Christmas day!
After all, it is Jesus’ birthday celebration. Let’s let Jesus be the center of all we do.
QUESTIONS FROM THE FIELD
- What was the magic of Christmas like for you as a child?
- Where do you find the joy of Christmas day as an adult?
- How might you be Christ to your family and friends today?
- If you are alone today, how might you be Christ to someone today? Phone calls you can make?
Peopleto visit? Letters to write?
FAMILY FIELD TALK
- How might the meal-time be different if the preparation, the meal, and the clean-up were done for Jesus?
- How might our giving gifts be different if we give them as if we are giving them to Jesus?
- How might the gifts we receive be different if we imagine that they are coming from Jesus, even the crazy ones?
Lord, Jesus Christ, this is your birthday. Help today be not about the magic I want at Christmas. Help it be about you through all that I say and do for you. Help me be your presence to my family and friends today. Help me serve you by treating family and friends as if they are you. In your gracious name, I pray. Amen.