September 16, 2020
Freedom or Slavery?
September 16, 2020
Truth. Freedom. Sin. Slavery. Jesus lays it out clearly in our reading for today. Living daily according to Jesus’ words allows us to know the truth about life and that truth is the way to freedom. Conversely, rejecting God’s truth and choosing to go our own way makes us slaves to sin.
A slave has no choice in how he or she lives or what happens to him or her. Slaves are bound to do the will of another and are at the mercy of their oppressor. When we close our eyes to God’s truths as expressed in the Bible, we allow ourselves to become slaves to spiritual ignorance and self-absorption. Eventually it becomes apparent that we are no longer freely choosing — we are on a path that leads to somewhere we do not want to go.
Contrast this way of life with the life God offers us in Christ. Knowing and doing God’s will leads to the freedom of being a son or daughter of God. Living in God’s household, we experience all the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). Choose truth and know freedom!
QUESTIONS FOR THE FIELD
- In what areas of your life are you experiencing God’s freedom?
- Are their areas of your life where you are still a slave to habits or thoughts that you know are not God’s will for you?
- What would help you find freedom in these areas?
FAMILY FIELD TALK
- How do you feel when you get home from school and you have free time?
- The Bible tells us that when we love God and follow God’s rules, that we will have freedom. What do you think that would feel like?
Loving God, help us to dwell in your Word so deeply that we experience the freedom that comes from knowing the truth. Help us to surrender those areas of our lives where we may still be in bondage. Amen.