October 26, 2021
Lost and Found
Luke 15:4-6: “Which one of you, having a hundred sheep and losing one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the one that is lost until he finds it? When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders and rejoices. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’“
One Halloween, when his family was younger, Bishop Ken Carder’s wife and daughter went trick-or-treating. At the same time, he stayed at the parsonage, giving candy to at least a hundred children, all dressed as ghosts, goblins, skeletons, princesses, and whatever.
After an hour, his wife, Linda, ran home shouting, “Ken, I can’t find Sandra!”
Without hesitating, he put the candy down, left the house door wide open, and began running through the neighborhood searching for his daughter. He didn’t care how many ghosts and goblins ran through his house or if they stole the candy. He wanted to find his daughter!
When he found her, there was a lot of joy for the entire family. Interestingly, their daughter didn’t realize she was lost.
Jesus gave up heaven (Philippians 2) to be with us, seeking his lost sheep. Interestingly, many of us may not realize we are lost. Yet, he seeks each of us until we are willing to be found.
QUESTIONS FOR THE FIELD
- Have you ever lost a child? What did you feel? What did you do?
- How did it feel to find your child?
- Describe a time you were lost and didn’t know it?
- Describe a time you were lost and did know it?
- How has God helped you during the times of “lost and found?”
FAMILY FIELD TALK
- Tell your children what it felt like when you could not find them.
- Have your children tell a time in which they couldn’t find a parent.
- Remind each other of your family plan for whenever someone is lost. (code word, phone number, who to contact, etc.)
- Discuss how each of you trusts God during difficult situations, such as being lost or losing someone.
Dear most loving, gracious Lord and source of all life, we praise and thank you for our lives. Whenever someone I love gets lost, please watch over and protect them. When I’m lost, for whatever reason, please find me. Help us all rejoice with those you find. In your gracious name, I ask. Amen.