What does Forging Ahead mean?
Forging Ahead is the fourth step in the discipleship path. The resources on this page are for those who are ready to identify and use their gifts for service in the church and world. On this page you will find suggested practices to help guide you on this point in your journey, questions to consider, and recommended readings to dig a little deeper into your faith. Scroll down to see view the resources.
- Use a devotional and scripture to add structure to your prayer life
- Practice praying out loud in a group setting
- Engage in regular service opportunities each month
- Join an additional class or fellowship group at BUMC (while staying involved with your existing groups)
- Reflect on the positive and negative emotions that you are prone to. What strategies do you use to cope with the negative? How do you maintain the positive emotions?
- Examine your beliefs, habits and lifestyle in general. Which bring you closer to God and neighbor? Which do not?
We've compiled a list of optional readings to help guide you on this part of your journey. Rather than an exhaustive list, these readings are designed to be resources that might be helpful to consider at this stage in The Journey. Check out these optional readings to dig a little deeper in your faith by clicking the button below.
Questions to Consider
Take a moment to reflect on these questions
and read the corresponding scripture.
How are we put right with God?
How do we become God's holy people?
How can we know that we are saved?
What is the invitation to Christian Discipleship?
What is the mission of Jesus Christ?
*Note: Some of these questions were adapted from The Faith-Sharing New Testament With the Psalms (1996), prepared by H. Eddie Fox and George E. Morris.
Classes and Other Opportunities
Here are some other opportunities for those navigating the path:
Not the right step?
If you don't think this is the right step or are wondering where you might be on the discipleship path, take our discipleship assessment to find out where you may be on The Journey.